Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Weekly update from Teri

Hello Running Friends,

WELCOME DECEMBER


HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Jodi Heth Craig Phillips
December 2 (Wednesday) December 7 (Monday)


GOOD LUCK IN BLOOMINGTON, IN. AT THE TECUMSEH TRAIL MARATHON
Joe Timmsen
December 5 (Saturday)


John Fletcher competed in the Arizona Ironman on November 22 (Sunday). A message from John:

The swim went great as I was within 1 minute of my goal time. The bike started off good too. However, about halfway (mile 56) on the bike, I crashed when my front wheel went over the edge of the road. It separated my shoulder, gave me a hip pointer, skinned nearly my whole left side and took a chunk out of my finger. Despite the shock, I rode the remaining miles and was able to keep on my goal pace. The run started out OK as I was doing my pace (about 8 minute miles) but at mile 5 I had serious GI issues. Between there and mile 12 I had diarrhea 12 times and threw up once (doing both at same time!). I couldn't keep anything down, my left hip hurt with every foot fall and I was unsure if I could make it to the next porta-potty. So I went to the medical tent to get patched up and my second Ironman was no more.

( John, you gave it a valiant effort, we are all proud of you ! )


This week's group runs :

Wednesday - 5 p.m. at the Y. Wear your reflective vests and lights.
Saturday & Sunday - 8 a.m. at the Y. Color scheme : wear red or green during the month of December


Upcoming races :

December 5 (Saturday @ 9:00 a.m.) --- Tecumseh Trail Marathon - 26.2 miles - Bloomington, IN
(Good luck, Joe Timmsen!)

December 19 (Saturday @ 8 a.m.) ------ Jingle Jog - YMCA - fun holiday run around Muscatine

January 1 (Friday @11 a.m.) ------------- New Year's Day Run - 2 to 4.5 miles - Dell Wagner's home (400 E. 8 )

January 10 (Sunday) ----------------------- Walt Disney World Marathon - 26.2 miles - Orlando, FL (Good luck, Nancy Shell!)

January 16 (Saturday @ 1p.m.) ---------- Frostbite Run - 8k - Scott County Park

January 17 (Sunday @ 7 a.m.) ----------- Chevron Houston Marathon - 26.2 miles - Houston, TX (Good luck, Kevin Williams!)

January 31 (Sunday @ noon) ------------ Try Melon Tri - Indoor Triathlon - Muscatine YMCA

February 6 (Saturday @ noon) ---------- B-rrry Scurry - 4 miles - Clinton

February 21 (Sunday @ 1 p.m.) --------- Chili Chase - 4 miles - Duck Creek Park, Davenport


A message from Nancy Shell : (The entry forms are attached to this e-mail.)

If anyone is interested, I'm planning to run the Reindeer Ramble 5K, near Southpark in Moline, on Sunday morning, Dec 6, 9am. I have attached a copy of the signup sheet. I could carpool from F&F at 7:45am. I am also considering the Hot Chocolate Hustle 5K, Aledo, on Saturday morning, Dec 5 8am, but am undecided. I don't want to miss both weekend group runs. I am attaching the signup sheet for it also. Nancy



A message from Mike and Daphne Donald about a worthwhile event coming up this weekend...

2009 Holiday Home Tour
As many of you know, our son Ian was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes eight years ago. Our family continues to be involved with fundraising for diabetes research. We are very happy to once again host the Holiday Home Tour – Hope for a Cure in Muscatine. This is a great local event that helps to raise funds and awareness. Please let me know if you need tickets!
The 4th annual Holiday Home Tour – Hope for a Cure will be held on Saturday, December 5th from 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. in Muscatine, Iowa. Tickets cost $10.00 each and are on sale now at the following locations; Carriage House Carpet One (121 E. 2nd St.), Pro Hair Designs Salon & Spa (214 Chestnut), The Hall Tree (200 W. 2nd) Wine Nutz (208 W. 2nd), Elly’s Tea and Coffee House (208 W. 2nd) and Miller’s Florist (612 Hope Ave.). Checks may be made out to JDRF. Proceeds benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. All ticket holders are eligible for one of the fabulous door prizes. Stop at Pearl Plaza during the tour, to see the door prizes and enter your name. Tickets are also available the day of the tour at any of the homes on the tour: Dr. Matt & Kim Sojka, 2696 Becky Thatcher Rd., Herm & Luann Ferreira, 3318 Tipton Rd., Paul & Robin Graettinger, 2012 Mulberry Ave., Tom & Vickie Anderson, 2010 Mulberry Ave., Laura Musser Mansion, 1314 Mulberry Ave., Dan & Linda Steele, 1420 Mulberry Ave., and Jerry W. Lange 1001 Mulberry Ave.

For more information contact Daphne or 563-263-1094.

Thanks,
Mike & Daphne
A copy of the Home Tour Poster is attached to this e-mail.

Lisa and Dave Hughes are opening up their home again this year for the Running Friends' Christmas Party.
Thank you Lisa and Dave !!!

Who: Running Friends and Families
What: Christmas Party
When: Saturday, December 19, 2009 (2:00 p.m. - ?)
Where: Hughes’ Residence (2617 Canterbury Rd.)
Details: Hughes’ will provide pasta. Bring munchies to share and BYOB.


Pictured below:

1) Four mile Running 4 the House fun run on Wednesday, November 25. Mark Lofgren is running for State
Representative (District 80). TeamLOFGREN.com

2.) Black Friday run around town... 9 miles.

3.) Saturday group run... 10 miles.

Keep Running ! Keep Smiling !

Teri







No comments: