Friday, May 2, 2008

Hello Running Friends,

For openers, I want to congratulate the half marathon runners that ran is Des Moines last Saturday at the Drake Relays... Charles Potter, Mario Garcia, John Fletcher, Shannon VonMuenster, and Lee Hammerand. I have heard from Mario and Fletch, they said everyone ran well. (Lee finished 10th overall !) CONGRATULATIONS DRAKE RUNNERS !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather than telling you in my own words about Joe and Dave Timmsen's experience last Saturday in Lawrence KS, here is Joe's e-mail message :

(Remember ... Joe ran the 100K and Dave ran 40 miles)

Hola,

My sleeping pills and ibuprofen wore off and Dave is still sleeping so I thought I'd send an early a.m. race report.

The run went great yesterday... the weather was fantastic I don't think it could've been nicer. The trails were fantastic... rocky, rooty, singletrack. (mmm.. singletrack... drool). Elevation gain wasn't as bad as McNaughton... I'd say the trail is like Farmdale and 100% unable. The course is 21 mile loops.

Dave's run went well but he struggled the second lap with some cramping and a lot of pain. He still did a 7:40 42 miles. I think he was a little disappointed with that. I thought that was a fantastic run. He did his first 20+ mile run at QC marathon and his first ultra (50k at farmdale in oct), otherwise he hadn't been above 20 miles before or since.

I had a fantastic race. My last 10 miles had a lot to be desired but I smoked the first 50. I was at 10minute pace for the first 50mles. After that I really started to fade. I ended up around 11:10.

At McNaughton my legs were hurting at 15 miles into the race. I didn't even feel anything yesterday until 42 miles into it. Maybe Mcnaughton was a blessing in disguise and dropping out gave me some needed rest.

Have fun,

Joe

CONGRATULATIONS JOE AND DAVE ! AWESOME RUN !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nancy Shell was busy last weekend also. She ran Steve's Spring Chaser 5K in Rock Island on Saturday and the Iowa City River Run 10K on Sunday. WAY TO RUN, NANCY !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone that sent out the e-mails to inform us : THE HNI RUN FOR THIS SATURDAY HAS BEEN CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The QC Distance Classic is rapidly approaching... May 11th @ 7:30 a.m. If you would like to join us, we will be leaving Farm and Fleet @ 6 a.m.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you interested in joining us in Storm Lake on June 14th to run the Marathon to Marathon? There is a 5K, half marathon, full marathon, and a team relay offered. Lori Ferris is still looking for more runners to make a Running Friend's relay team. We will have our first Storm Lake meeting in mid-May to discuss carpooling and hotel accommodations. Fun, fun, fun !!! I can hardly wait !!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's runs will be :

Wednesday and Thursday at MHS @ 5:00 p.m. (Wednesday will be interval training on the track, Thursday will be running through town.)

Saturday (the Y) and Sunday (MHS) @ 8 a.m. (weekend color scheme will be fluorescent colors ... BRIGHT !!!!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture #1 : An ornery Running Friend e-mailed this photo of the squirrel to me and labeled it, "Teri's Pet Squirrel". I wonder why? Hmmm? It would be nice to have a trained squirrel to take all of our group photos ! HAY !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture #2: Saturday's wonderful group that gathered for a fun run around town. Thank you everyone for joining me and keeping me inspired to run !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture #3: I am going to send in the order for the Running Friend's singlets this weekend. If you would like a singlet, please respond to this e-mail. The more singlets we buy, the less expensive they are. Right now, they are $18 each. We can get them for $16.50 if we have an order of 48. So far, we have 30.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep Running ! Keep Smiling!

Teri

No comments: